PKers are scum
Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
jimv

Default PKers are scum

This is a copy of a letter that I sent to almost every Democratic Senator. I also started a petition with the letter on Care2. The petition is entitled "Help stop online bullying in games".

If you have ever played any multi-player games online then you already know that they can be full of jerks. Most of those jerks seem to me to be future republicans. I would also say that most of the companies that allow this stuff to take place are run by republicans.

Here is the letter:

This letter is concerning a form of online bullying and perhaps even theft.

The bullying referred occurs in online games and is commonly referred to as PKing. PKing is different from regular PvP. PKing stands for Player killing and PvP stands for player versus player. In regular PvP all parties involved in the fight are their of there own free will and should be aware of the consequences. PKing is where one or more parties simply attack someone without that person's consent. Most commonly they will attack someone that they know that they can beat. PvP would be like sitting at home offline playing a game of Madden football against a friend. Pking would be more like going into someone's home without their permission and kicking them off their own game then either taking it or playing it there. PKing is really, really messed up.

Before I continue, I should state that I have never nor do I desire to take part in PKing. As a matter of fact, I have only ever taken part in any PvP in an online game because the game required it to obtain certain items. I wasn't particularly happy about being forced to do it then.

That said, all PKing really does is allow players to hide behind their computers to screw over other players. This can not be a good example of behavior for the millions of children that play online games.

Before anyone says it is only a game, let me go further into what PKing allows people to do to other people. In almost every game that allows PKing the person that wins the battle gets to take the possessions that the other player's character has on them. Or at least some of those possessions. Those possessions take time to acquire. By that I mean that you generally have to spend your "real life" time playing the game to get to the point that you can get those in-game possessions.

Most of the online video games offer a subscription to get more access to parts of the game. These subscriptions are time based. Example would be say $19.95 for a 3 month subscription. So in turn if the victim of the PKing spent 3 months getting to where they could obtain the items then the PKer basically just stole $19.95 from their victim and also the 3 months that it took playing the game.

The people that make the games know this. They put it into the games on purpose to cause conflict between players and to get that extra subscription to replace the one that was wasted by the PKer taking someone else's items. It is a scam.

That is not their only scam either. A huge percentage of online games out now advertise that they are "free to play". Very, very few of them are actually free. It is false advertising just to get people to try the games. Once you actually get into the game you find out that you can not play most of the game without paying for membership or for in-games 'perks'.

A couple of examples would be Runescape and Nodiatis.

Runescape first. They advertise that you can play "totally free". When in reality you can only access a small portion of the game map and play only 15 of the 25 game categories as a free player. That wouldn't really be a problem if they didn't advertise it as totally free. So much for free and more if you subscribe with no more in-game items for 'real money'. Runescape also has a Pking system where it is only allowed in a certain part of the game 'world'. That may not be so bad, but they also tend to make you go into that part of the game to do certain things.

Nodiatis on the other hand, also advertises as a free to play game has a different set-up. Once you get into the game you find out that you can't do much of anything without first paying. The game offers a standard account which doesn't improve much on the free option. Then it goes into a premium account, which is a step up from the standard account and much more expensive. Then it also offers other in-game perks if you pay even more for them. Nodiatis has a Pking system that is called open. Open meaning that anyone can attack anyone else anywhere in the game other than in the towns. You can't do much in the towns and have to leave them if you want to play the game.

These issues need some serious consideration. It would be a good thing to pass legislation banning games that allow PKing and issuing some serious fines for the false advertising. If these games are in countries that will not co-operate with cleaning them up them just block the IP addresses of the games from the countries that will co-operate.

If you are wondering why so many kids are out of control these days, I suggest that allowing them to exhibit so much bad behavior online is not helping. The Internet is a public place and the behaviors of those on it need to have the same expectations as if they were in person. I realize that it would be somewhat of an impossible task to police the entire Internet, but starting with things like gaming, forums, message boards and anywhere else that there are large gatherings of people would be a good thing.

Another good piece of legislation would stop people from using computers that are paid for with tax dollars to play online games. That includes schools, public libraries, military computers, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that there is some action taken on this issue.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Epic Scholar

grow a pair and dont play a hardcore pvp game if u dont want PKing

btw nod can be played 100% free you just have to be patient
  • Fix and eat a sandwich +15%
  • Watch TV -5%
  • Urinate +20%
  • Finish your homework +10%
  • Stand on your head for 5+ minutes +33%

We believe these are working as intended.

Last edited by thatperson; 01-31-2011 at 02:14 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Boss Hunter

lol @ this thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
Administrator

I have it on good authority that the founding fathers were pro PKing.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
tsx

Nod is totally free if you aren't lazy. I know a few people who haven't paid jeff a single thin dime, much less a lincoln. They do fine, are capped players now, and have full virt pack and accel, and travel.

Mind you, at some point, someone has to spend money on the game, but thats another story. Point is for nodiatis at least you *can* play and succeed without spending irl money if you so chose. Its painfully slow, and you have to spend much much more time on the game, but that comes down to your priorities. IRL time, or IRL cash.

As for the PK aspect, if you don't like it, don't play the game. There are lots of games which may cater to your liking, but don't expect congress to pass legislation on a concept which they most likely know little about. How about putting time into useful things, such as figuring out why the country is in so much debt and how it is going to get out of it. Surely your new suggestion of a bill will merely crush these games which bring revenue into the economy, further worsening the recession situation.

kthxbai

Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
Epic Scholar

best glitchless quote EVER
  • Watch TV -5%
  • Urinate +20%

Old 01-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
jimv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchless

You sound like a tea bagger piece of garbage. Where did you get your so-called information from? Glen Beck?

To the first response: You think it takes a pair to hide behind your computer and get your jollies by screwing other people over? You are a moron.

By the way I have also sent this and other letters to a lot of anti-bullying organizations. Not one of them has disagreed with my assessment of PKing. In fact most have thanked me for informing them that it is taking place.

So as soon as PKing gets classified as a form of online bullying it will it will automatically become illegal in states with anti-bullying laws against online bullying.

To the person that called me a troll: Why is it when I said something in game about getting attacked, the PKer responded by stating that my complaining made it worth it? That is what trolls do. That is how trolls get their jollies. See personally I could care less if anyone responded to this thread or not. I did not post it to get responses, I posted it to let you PKer scumbags and the lowlifes that make the games that allow you to pull your garbage that your days are numbered.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 AM   #8
Epic Scholar

way to call the creater of the game a piece of garbage
  • Watch TV -5%
  • Urinate +20%

Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #9
Auction Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv
You sound like a tea bagger piece of garbage. Where did you get your so-called information from? Glen Beck?

To the first response: You think it takes a pair to hide behind your computer and get your jollies by screwing other people over? You are a moron.

By the way I have also sent this and other letters to a lot of anti-bullying organizations. Not one of them has disagreed with my assessment of PKing. In fact most have thanked me for informing them that it is taking place.

So as soon as PKing gets classified as a form of online bullying it will it will automatically become illegal in states with anti-bullying laws against online bullying.

To the person that called me a troll: Why is it when I said something in game about getting attacked, the PKer responded by stating that my complaining made it worth it? That is what trolls do. That is how trolls get their jollies. See personally I could care less if anyone responded to this thread or not. I did not post it to get responses, I posted it to let you PKer scumbags and the lowlifes that make the games that allow you to pull your garbage that your days are numbered.
With comments like these it's hard to tell you apart from Glenn Beck.

Beet Da Brat

Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #10
Boss Hunter

Thumbs down

Holy ****,

I am practically speechless.

Are you serious? If so, cry me a river.

Quote:

Last edited by Makaveliarts; 01-31-2011 at 03:36 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
Rat Slayer

Love it Cyx

Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 AM   #12
Epic Scholar

Quote:
Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 AM   #13
Gem Pouch Expert

lulz, some ppl dun understand what a game is, do they?

<3 hey jess

Beating a Dead Horse
Old 01-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #14
Cheezwhiz

Default Beating a Dead Horse

Quote:
Dear Glitchless, LLC:
Please expect monies from me again. <3

Dear wtt (what the troll):
Terms of Use. Don't be rude to the Dems by writing huge long letters to them about how you can't read the little overtext message that pops up whenever you have to click that annoying little box to log in every day. Legally, it doesn't look good.

Also...
Quote:

Quote:
tea bagger piece of garbage.
Quote:
You are a moron
Quote:
to a lot of anti-bullying organizations
Quote:
you PKer scumbags and the lowlifes that make the games that allow you to pull your garbage that your days are numbered
Ad hominem attacks are a form of bullying. They are also an attempt to divert from the subject at hand.
Constructive criticism is what Glitchless, LLC likes. Don't like the current PK system? Don't break the rules of the forums! Try suggesting a fix that you like better, etc., rtfm, omg, lol, bbq.

[/BEATDEADHORSE]

Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #15
cinderskin

interesting approach. personally, i've seen in game bullying in plenty of online games in my time, all the way back the first pvp servers in everquest (none of this pvp zone WOW craft, you could get ganked anywhere but a city)

and lottttsss of griefers exsisted. For a while it was fine, occasionally a griefer would camp your corpse, some groups of anti griefers might save your butt. Eventually Sony got sick of customers quitting the game outright after long bouts of griefing and they starting moderating it a bit. (eq already HAD moderators and guides, and a great active help system) but they would teleport a griefer to a null zone effectively, and warn them, if they got to many complaints, and suspend people after so many infractions.

not saying that is required here, pk'ing is not that out of hand in this game, annoying and perhaps easy to exploit for profit, but you don't really see "griefing" in this game at all, which is defintely a mark in it's favor.

I guess i get the complaint of the OP, but i don't consider NOD a appropriate example.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
Gem Pouch Expert

I want some of what this dudes been smokin.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
Boss Hunter

Define: totally free to play

Definition: something that can be played without having to spend to be able to play.

OH MY GOD RUNESCAPE IS TOTALLY FREE...

The things you pay for are called UPGRADES, and both runescape and nodiatis can be played without the use of those UPGRADES. If you don't like it, go choke on a choad. Regardless of how you see it, facts are indeed facts, get used to it or you wont survive very long in the real world.

Nodiatis is advertised as a PVP game, and Player vs Player doesn't necessarily mean that both parties have to give consent for PVP action to take place.
PK'ing is just one of the many aspects of PVP.

If it makes you cry, go play hello kitty island adventure, you might actually get somewhere... Better yet go do something illegal like playing "fun servers" for other games, you'll get everything you want in a day and then you won't have to cry about all the time you spent getting it. OH NO SOMEONE KILLED ME I'VE BEEN PLAYING 10 MINUTES AND LOST A HAMSTER THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME FREE BY XNAME QUEST GIVER!!! THIS GUY STOLE MY IRL MONEYS! get a ****ing life you reject!

In regards to people that take items from you when they do kill you in PK,
They are in no way stealing said price of subscription from you they are taking what they earnt by risking their life to kill you. If you don't want to lose something important PUT IT IN STORAGE, besides, Pkers on nodiatis can only take 1 stack / item from you that isn't soulbound and if you've only just got high enough to acquire said item then you deffinitely haven't spent the 3 months you've been playing trying to get that item.

More importantly, by registering and logging into the game you agree to the terms of service, Whilst I think some aspects of the terms of use could be worded a little better to prevent ****heads like you coming into the game/forums and whining about **** you should already be expecting when you see "pvp".

In short,

U DUM KK!! LOLOLOLOL
GET LIFE.
LURN REWLZ!!
KNOW WAT PEE VEE PEE MEANZZ
GO BAK SKEWL!
And ofcourse, GET THE **** OUT OF OUR FACE YOU WASTE OF SPACE!

@ glitch, Lies imo! founding fathers were noobs :P

Now to follow Cheezwhiz' post:

Dear Glitchless, LLC:
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to buy UPGRADES for nod. <3

Dear wtt (what the troll):
Read the TOU
Understand them
**** off.

Edit: damn Post wasn't as long as the trolls.

Last edited by Arttemis; 01-31-2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: failing in size!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
Malc

Umm, I'm sure Jimv is joking...didn't he write some good guides for Nod, once upon a time? And this -is- in the off-topic forum.

One way or another, it's a joke

Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #19
Gem Pouch Expert

haha, great thread. If this guy is serious, he's honestly targeting the wrong type of games. Nod is the first game I've played that's an RPG style. The other games I've previously played are RTS where there is no safe zone (i.e. towns in nod) and you can be attacked and looted 24/7 whether you're online or not (*remembers the 2009 Christmas morning ransacking of my castle*).

I think these guys have already adequately pointed out the insanity in joining a game that bills itself as pvp and then complaining about pvp action. The basis of your position that your interpretation of pvp (esentially always voluntary agreement or no risk) is the only one and should be legislated is ridiculous.

If you're serious, good luck not being interpreted as another nut job to the legislature.

If you created this as a troll thread, then congrats, it's outstanding.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Boss Hunter

Haha, what an absolute idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv
Way to go about complaining about online bullying.

PS: I forwarded your letter to my mommy, and she said it wasnt bullying.

GTFO.