Spell Blocking
Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Skandronan

Cool Spell Blocking

At this moment, I am a lvl 15 guardian. Before every combat, I receive a message saying my contravention is low, and that I'll take 2x magic dmg because of it.

My strategic decision, however, is simply to ignore contravention and impedence. Why? Because when maxed out (w/o class enhancements), Cntr and Impedence cause 10% resistance. As a guardian, I can max out blocking at a substantially higher level. Thus even when it comes to spell res, I think that my points are better spent in AGI than in CNT, so that I may get the full benefit of my blocking skills. I realise that I can only block direct damage spells, but I think this is a better use of xp and skill pts.

However, I have two concerns:

1) How can I verify whether or not this is working? That is, how can I tell whether a "blocked" msg stopped a melee attack or DD spell?

2) How would this calculation play out? Would the caster's INT and CNC be compared against my STR and AGI, or would it simply by my base % to block w/o any com*****ons?

I appreciate all constructive feedback.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Skandronan

Caveat: I won't ignore impedence entirely, it just won't be a major concern.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Skandronan

Also, when I get deflective shield this distribution would have offensive benefits, while CNT and impedence never would.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Auction Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandronan
At this moment, I am a lvl 15 guardian. Before every combat, I receive a message saying my contravention is low, and that I'll take 2x magic dmg because of it.
If I remember right the message only says that you'll take considerably more damage. Not double. From what I've heard the message should stop showing after level 20.

Quote:
My strategic decision, however, is simply to ignore contravention and impedence. Why? Because when maxed out (w/o class enhancements), Cnt and Impedence cause 10% resistance. As a guardian, I can max out blocking at a substantially higher level. Thus even when it comes to spell res, I think that my points are better spent in AGI than in CNT, so that I may get the full benefit of my blocking skills. I realise that I can only block direct damage spells, but I think this is a better use of xp and skill pts.
Ignoring Cnt and Impedance is you choice but I believe it to be foolish. Cnt reduces the amount of Direct Damage magic taken in fights and helps avoid getting hit by an archers arrows. Impedance further redues the amount of harmful damage taken by magic also, and Diabolism, Sorcery, and Mind Bending helps resist red, black, white, green, grey and blue magics. But will do crap without Cnt.

Quote:
However, I have two concerns:

1) How can I verify whether or not this is working? That is, how can I tell whether a "blocked" msg stopped a melee attack or DD spell?

2) How would this calculation play out? Would the caster's INT and CNC be compared against my STR and AGI, or would it simply by my base % to block w/o any com*****ons?
1. You don't know.

2. Int is damage and Cnc is accuracy for a caster. If I've understanded everything so far, Str and Agi balances out and depends on your blocking skill level.
Captaincrunch

Devildriver

Old 06-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Seer's BFF

Send a message via MSN to Sexyy

Quote:
At this moment, I am a lvl 15 guardian.
you better reroll as you are still low level, choose some better class lol
i am a guardian at lvl 70 and the class sucks =[

Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Skandronan

Really? Right now I'm doing quite well: I can solo blacks and reds, and have beaten players several levels higher than myself in duels.

What's your stat distribution like? How well does blocking work vs. DD spells?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Music

Guardians are the best!! ^_^