Go Back   > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Uncivil or Off Topic

Fantasy books recomendations and reviews
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Crab Defiler

Default Fantasy books recomendations and reviews

Hay I thought I would start a post for book recommendations.
I currently have over an hour commute to and from work and as a result I read a lot. Its fairly easy for me to finish 2 or 3 books a month and 90% of what I have read for the last 6 months is in the fantasy genre Grim dark. That said I thought I would post a few of my favorites. Game of thrones would be in this genre.

The Acts of Caine series by Matthew Woodring Stover
These books work well as stand alone novels that said they also make a biography for the main character.

Two parallel "earths" exist one technology one magical. The technology world has found a way to send people to the magic world send them as "actors" the actors jobs are to "die in entertaining ways" by performing assassinations and starting civil wars which the people on the technology world can then watch though camera's in the "actors" heads.

Awesome read with a very fun and dangerous protagonist.
9/10

The first law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

Joe Abercrombie writes very bloody dark books with awesome characters. I found myself cheering for the bloodlust addled dark past character the bloody nine and hoping nothing awful happens to the state service grand torturer Sand dan Glokta . Still the most evil character in this trilogy may be the ancient wizard who has helped the civilization along for centuries.
9.5/10

The best part of these books in my opinion is that once your done there are 3 stand alone novels based on the world and the characters and the book "the heroes" one of the stand alone books may be my favorite novel of all time.
11/10

Joe Abercrombie will have you cheering for terrible people and miss the books when they are done.

Another series I have enjoyed that just released book 4 of 5 is Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett.

Demon cycle is about a world that every night demons come from dark and try to whip out humanity. Big characters who become super overpowered try to stop them in any way they can. Its dark is reasonable fast passed and its fun to read. I am very excited about the next book to come out and finish this series but it is not going to happen until 2017.
8/10

I would be very interested to know if any of you have read any of these books and what you thought. I am also currently looking for ideas of what to read next. I am 65% of the way though the first book of a trilogy called The Void Trilogy Peter F. Hamilton. Its more Sci Fi than I usually read but so far its decent. Next on my list is some more grim dark genre called The Grim Company by Luke Scull.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Crab Defiler

Follow up. I find the George RR Martin Game of Thrones books very slow as there is a lot of political posturing. I do however love the TV show.
I will read "The Axe and the Throne" and provide a rating and how I though it stacks up in the Genre.
I am by no means an expert I just like what I like.
Cheese that smells like feet and wine that puckers your cheeks.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Rare Collector

If you enjoy fantasy you might enjoy The Dragonlace Saga. It has a multitude of books, you can take your pick from. Dragons, wizards, half elves and so on. Also The Forgotten Realm series is good. Currently i am reading for the Nth time Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series. Hope you have fun xD

Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
Gem Pouch Expert

50 Shades of Grey... Lots of fantasies in that 1 ;p

Old 06-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Crab Defiler

I was in grade 6 when I first read the sword of truth. I read it before I did the hobbit and the lord of the rings. Terry Goodkind's a great writer and I really enjoyed the first 4 or so books of that series but it just kept going and going. It got to the point where I got bored of the characters and missed Darken Rahl.
I remember the first book so well as it was by far the largest book I had ever read and I spent so much time on a book report on it and got a 99% when I was expecting a perfect. It was the last time I ever tried in school.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Rare Collector

The name of the wind - Patrick Roth fuss
Wizards first rule - Terry Good kind

If you want more can recommend hundreds...These 2 are awesome tho.

Do you have angel wings when your blood runs dry; that make my tears incarnadine, when I start to cry? - Sigha