How to fix lag
Old 07-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Epic Scholar

Default How to fix lag

There are 3 types of lag that I've noticed in Nod. Connection lag, computer lag, and server lag. Server lag is very rare, so if you're lagging, it's probably on your end.

When I first started, I had a connection lag. There are several things you can do, other than upgrading your connection.
1. Use wired instead of wireless connection. It can be a pain, but it helps.
2. If you do use wireless, you can build a "cage" for your router to direct the signal. A moderately effective way is to simply build a "dish" behind your router, using aluminum foil and wire. You can Google more effective ways.
3. Encrypt your connection. You'd be surprised how sneaky your neighbors can be when leeching off your WiFi.
4. Make sure you close out everything other than Nod. It's shocking how much bandwidth things take up when you consider that you're rarely getting your advertised bandwidth.

Computer lag is the most common problem I've had. My poor computer has gotten worse and worse over time, and therefore I've become a bit of a self-taught expert when it comes to fixing computer lag.
1. Run a program to allocate resources more effectively. I recommend TuneUp Utilities. It completely fixed my lag for months.
2. Standard upkeep: defragment, cleanup, etc.
3. Cool your computer as much as possible. I've had to rig up various cooling systems, and it really helps quite a lot.
4. This is a recent one I learned from Rift support. Don't use it if you can't follow instructions to the letter, and if ou dont' feel comfortable messing with this kind of thing, don't do it. You can individually disable processes and services using the Task Manager, including Windows services, but I prefer to do it this way, as it is safer and faster. Open your Run dialog (Windows key + R). Type in "msconfig" and click ok. Switch to the services tab, and check the "hide windows services" box. Click "disable all" then click ok. It will ask you to restart your computer. This is a good thing to do at least once a day, but many of the services will end up disabled whether you restart or not. If you DO restart, all of the non-essential ones will be disabled. Nod will work regardless.

I'll post more as I think of them or come up with them. A general tip is don't underestimate the insane amount of lag that things like Netflix and WMP can cause. Even having Gmail open causes me to lag at times.

Last edited by hotshot64; 07-10-2012 at 02:01 AM..