I need help with lag
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Epic Scholar

Default I need help with lag

Started last night, it's not just Nodiatis, it's the whole internet. I don't really know much about these things but I think that those big numbers in the middle may be a problem.

By the way I disconnect every 30 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchless
The player was banned for using an exploit repeatedly without reporting it. There's only 1 proper way to profit off an exploit: report it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggles
Old Delay/(1+haste%) = New Delay

For slow effects, use the slow % but as a negative.

Just repeat for multiple effects.

DO NOT multiply by 1+slow% to get your new delay. 1*1.4 is not the same as 1/0.6 and your answer will be wrong.

Last edited by Huggles; 07-05-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Seer's BFF

The big numbers in the middle are definitely the problem.

Much of the DC area remains without power, so what is working there is getting overloaded right now because some of the major routing servers are still down. Typically you'd see Chantilly or Herndon on this list. Probably won't improve much until the DC area gets all of its power restored.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Epic Scholar

It may not be your internet connection. I lag constantly and have a crappy ping frequently but it doesn't matter what connection I'm using, as long as I use this crappy computer. I did find a *sort of* solution.

Open your run dialog (windows button + r).
Type in "msconfig"
Press "ok"
Click on the "services" tab
Select the "hide all Microsoft services" box
Click "disable all"
Click "ok" at the bottom of the window
It's recommended that you restart your computer. I usually do, but my boot sequence is pretty slow so sometimes I don't. The result is still better than before, but I recommend you restart using this method at least once a day to shut off extraneous services.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Epic Scholar

It's odd though, it was fine during and after the storm (we never lost power). it started a few days after. Maybe people who got power back are trying to use internet too but as TJ said the server thingies are overloaded.

Thanks for your help, guess I'll have to wait it out.
Quote:
The player was banned for using an exploit repeatedly without reporting it. There's only 1 proper way to profit off an exploit: report it.
Quote:

DO NOT multiply by 1+slow% to get your new delay. 1*1.4 is not the same as 1/0.6 and your answer will be wrong.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Seer's BFF

Huggles:

I'm guessing you live in or near Baltimore from that router list. My folks live not too far south of there. They never lost power either, but Dad's internet has been acting up just like yours has. Some days he can't connect to hardly anything, and other days it seems to be almost normal.

Since you didn't lose your power, you have your air conditioning. Be thankful for that !

Old 07-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Seer's BFF

Kind of funny though in a way.

Until Glitchless had to rebuild his routing table (a year or so ago maybe), my connection went from the middle of nowhere Louisiana, to Tyler, TX, to Kansas City, to Chicago, to New York, to the Washington area, to Atlanta, to wherever in the southeast the server is actually located (appears to be northwestern Florida, but not sure). So by that routing, I'd be having the same problem you are having.

After Glitch rebuilt his server routing table, I go from here, to New Orleans, to Mobile, to Pensacola (the main reason, along with the Glitchless mailing address, that I think the server is in northwestern Florida) to Nod. This route eliminates almost all of the lag I occasionally experienced.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Epic Scholar

Quote:
It's odd though, it was fine during and after the storm (we never lost power). it started a few days after. Maybe people who got power back are trying to use internet too but as TJ said the server thingies are overloaded.

Thanks for your help, guess I'll have to wait it out.
Waiting it out has failed. 7 days later I am still unable to play normally. Time to calmly call Verizon and tell them to **** themselves with a rake.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Gem Pouch Expert

Quote:
Open your run dialog (windows button + r).
Type in "msconfig"
Press "ok"
Click on the "services" tab
Select the "hide all Microsoft services" box
Click "disable all"
Click "ok" at the bottom of the window
This is really bad advice to give people, someone might actually do it. Msconfig is like computer geek 101, it's very basic. Anyone who doesn't already know about it shouldn't be messing with it unless someone is holding their hand. You have no idea what other people have running or if it's needed or not.

Sure, there is probably some stuff that can be shut down, but without knowing what other people have running you can't make a blanket statement like that. A lot of things in there might not be needed on a daily basis. So it might be a week or more before realizing something isn't working right. By then they might not associate it or even remember they messed with msconfig.

On top of that, most of those things probably only use 1-4M of ram and zero cpu. If it actually makes a difference there is a bigger problem someplace else.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Epic Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnison
This is really bad advice to give people, someone might actually do it. Msconfig is like computer geek 101, it's very basic. Anyone who doesn't already know about it shouldn't be messing with it unless someone is holding their hand. You have no idea what other people have running or if it's needed or not.

Sure, there is probably some stuff that can be shut down, but without knowing what other people have running you can't make a blanket statement like that. A lot of things in there might not be needed on a daily basis. So it might be a week or more before realizing something isn't working right. By then they might not associate it or even remember they messed with msconfig.

On top of that, most of those things probably only use 1-4M of ram and zero cpu. If it actually makes a difference there is a bigger problem someplace else.
This particular fix comes directly from the rift technical support site as a general ix for lag. It's very simple and doesn't hurt any Microsoft processes. Your input is noted, but if you think the makers of one of the better MMOs on the Net with millions of players would give bad technical advice to people who, on average, have little technical skill, you really should let them know. So far I have had several people tell me this fixed their issues and one person came to me saying it screwed up her computer. Her problem was she forgot to click "hide all Microsoft Processes" so please make sure you do that if you use this fix. Her computer worked perfectly fine after she restarted.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
Gem Pouch Expert

Ooooooh, I see! Some guy at a big MMO said it's ok. Well it must be ok then.

I think I'll get ahold of that other company. Can't think of their name atm, some little dinky company. Oh yea I remember now, it's called Microsoft or something like that. I'll just tell them they're being silly requiring admin privilege to use msconfig. I'll tell the guys who wrote the MS knowledge base articles they are being silly for giving warnings not to use it if you don't know what you're doing. I'll be sure to give them a link to the Rift site to brush up on the latest developments in computer software.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
Epic Scholar

Again, your input is noted and I'll make a note of it in my thread. It's worked for me and god knows how many thousands of people as long as they follow the proper steps, so I won't remove it but I'll note that it's or advanced users. However, if you have better fixes, please feel free to post them in my thread.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Rare Collector

Monday was the day set for the Malware virus to hit most computers & servers.... if people ignored it, & got hit by it, it may cause lag or other issues... My system crashed.... well I sorta crashed it.... but I got the virus!

Just remember Today's raincheck is tomorrows' Golden Shower.