DoT gems + Staff Stun
Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
Annatar

Default DoT gems + Staff Stun

Casting a level 0 red DoT gem (Ashen Thoughts) on a level 37 mob brought has no penalty. If there are no penalty's for low skill level against high level mobs when using higher DoT gems, it might be unbalanced as Fighters/Archers can start stacking some DoT gems without investing too much into magic skills.

Staff Stun can be evaded by swapping a weapon from inventory with the staff.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:57 AM   #2
Administrator

Lower level dots are lower in efficiency so there's no advantage to using them over using higher level dots.

Good find with the staff bug, I doubt you need gold at the moment though.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Annatar

I meant that using a DoT gem with low skill level relative to the mob level does not encounter a penalty.

For example. I have 22 green magic and I fought a level 37 mob. If I used a lvl 14 green DD gem, it would encounter damage scaling (hard to tell). But when I used the lvl 15 green DoT gem, it did not encounter any damage scaling and it dealt all its damage over the respected time.

Non-casters (or even casters) can keep a low skill level relative to the enemies they are fighting to use those gems and still do full damage from those gems.

Staff Stun message still appears even if you are not in combat.

Last edited by Annatar; 07-05-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Administrator

Ya that's fine with me, they're still better off getting the skill up and using better gems.