Offline Auctioning.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Camli

Default Offline Auctioning.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could run auctions while offline? Yep, but it would have to have some restrictions to make it less desirable than selling offline. Some examples:

Non-global -- Offline auctions are only available to set up, view, and purchase in the town they're stored in.

Listing Fee, Limited Duration -- Pay a certain price up-front (some percentage of the item's resell value, or based on weight or resource-tier for resources), and the auction only lasts a few days. Whether it sells or not, you don't get the fee back, since you're basically paying an NPC to auction it for you.

Heavier tax -- Double taxes, or +5% (So 100 Bartering would still give a 6% tax).

Limited Slots -- Only 20% of your daily auction slots can be used for offline auctions.

Pretty much the idea is that offline auctions make it easier to run an in-game economy, can filter gold out of the system to prevent inflation (not that that's a problem, even with the recent money changes), and discourages people from staying logged-in-but-afk to sell their auctions, which reduces server strain....

Of course, it would have to have restrictions to make it worse than selling while online, but I'd much rather pay some extra gold to not have to babysit my browser to avoid timing out.

I do like the big-world, personal nature of the game, but I don't think this would detract from it TOO much :P

Old 06-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Somneil

I believe Jeff has stated that offline auctioning will be implemented eventually.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

i dont remember seeing jeff say that

but i do think its a good idea

Old 06-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Decker

He did, might of been ingame

Old 06-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

ok thought he meant on forum but if he said it ingame then its probably true but i still didnt see him say it so i didnt know

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Seer's BFF

Send a message via AIM to doug Send a message via MSN to doug Send a message via Yahoo to doug Send a message via Skype™ to doug

yeh i recon tht auctions should be 24 / 7 availbe it make it easier u then dont have to wait for the user to be on and well if u wanted to ask them somethign about it sure u could wait if u wanted it

Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Auction Master

yeah it would also be helpfull to the seller as there would be less waiting time and it wouldnt require keeping an eye on the game

Old 06-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Administrator

Offline auctioning is on the list.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Phogue

I didn't want to start a whole nother thread for this but if I right click and say message a seller could it automatically put the item name and description in the message?

Like right click and msg on an enchanting stone would give like:

/t Lemmiwinks (RE: Enchanting Stone Int: +2, Cnt: -2) I'll give you half what you are offering.

or just the item name. It will make it easier to barter.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
Music

Morrodin's post reminded me to look at the "to do list" once again and I remembered to say something on the Offline Auctioning thing..

In my personal opinion, i think it is an extremely bad idea for the game. Of course it is great for some players and would be totally great for myself. Who wouldnt love to sell things offline. I have lots of crafting stuff that i would love to be sold while im on long vacations or work trips.

However, I still think it is an extremely bad idea, even with the restrictions proposed by the poster in the first post of this thread. Given the AH cluttered a bit as it is rigth now, especiall in the traderesources section, can you imagine how cluttered it will be with that ?

Good lord, i can see lots of people using alternative chars to store stuff for sale on them ( I would do that anyway to free up the always needed space) and just sell it off them (using 1 timecard for making standard for 1 month).

Then another problem arises, how will the money banking work? If you char is not present in game itself, how will it recieve the money from the sale ? Oh well i may not understand all the mechanisms but I think if we dont want the AH sections to be simply flooded with millions of resources and items, i think its a big NO NO NO.

Given the discussion ,this item could be taken off the TO DO LIST, so that Glitchless hands are freed up a little to do other more important updates.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
Epic Scholar

Send a message via MSN to zenga

the ah should be flooded with millions of resources, that way i'm not restricted to buy inferior stuff cause i happen to live in another timezome ... i want to buy the best stuff i want, not the stuff that is online when i'm online ...

your sole objection is just a matter of redesigning the AH & how it lists the stuff, search options , etc

btw: the banking problem you state is the least of jeff his worries

Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
richp

I think offline auctioning is a great idea I support it 100%

Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Auction Master

i agree with what Zenga said...
also, this will help me: i can only farm a few hours, and by the time i have enough trophies to sell, i have to go, and then i cant come back till after server reset, when my trophies go poof! so then i will be able to sell trophies

Old 09-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
Music

Well then we might as well implement offline fighthing.... :P

Old 09-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
Emperor006

According solely to Glitchless' above statement, Offline Auctioning has been 'on the list' since 06-29-2008, 06:15 PM
It is currently 09-03-2009, 02:54 PM (EST)

Two questions:
1: Why is it so bad all of a sudden?
2: When do you think it will ACTUALLY get implemented? It's already been 15 months!

Trust me, I don't particularly want to compete with the prices you charge (or don't, for that matter) on low-tier epic suiting all day long -- it's hard enough as it is, thank you very much -- But Zenga's point is completely valid.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
Music

It was bad all the time, I just kept forgetting to post it, lol... that post by Morrodin's reminded me of it again.

I stated in my message that I, as a player, would love it as well. But other negatives outweight it.

Also, since when we are competing, emperor ? O_O
All my customers know that i have very low prices on crafting..

Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
richp

by crafting epics for free and selling them at such low prices takes away from the specialty of the crafter making the rest of us worthless and our profits low to none. some of the prices are actually less then it cost to craft....

I sell for minimal profits based on currently selling prices in ah and do not craft epics for free. Im sorry but I've spent many days/weeks/months with my crafting skills on passive when it could of been on something else more useful to killing mobs and pvp.

I dont mind helping people and will craft non-epics for free but i'm not going to be taken advantage of and use up all my time and efforts to make something so someone else can profit off of it.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
Emperor006

FYI: My armorcrafting skill is currently level 51.

In a nutshell, my stance is very similar to that of Richp. The difference is that I simply stopped adding to the supply.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #19
giveitatry

strongly agree with this, it would be very nice to be able to just fall asleep and wake up with some gold, not having to stay on waiting for an item to sell, and then going offline, and making your item unavailable for online players.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:54 AM   #20
Gem Pouch Expert

It's on the to-do list. Stop showing support. He's already sold on the idea.