Go Back   > Nodiatis Forums > Role Playing > Role Play

Modern God Game
Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Noldor

Default Modern God Game

I have a game I like to play, called Wondrous New Earth, that I hosted on occasion on GITP. It is basically a god game that takes place in the future or during Modern times. I think that the year 2080 is a good time to put the game setting. The game would be free-form, and would have both Fantasy and Sci Fi themes to play with.

Character Creation:
Name:

Power source: (not necessarily the source of your powers but the main theme of your character. Athena's Source would be wisdom, Hecate's would be magic, Ares'es would be war, etctera.)

Domains: Domains are basically a way to turn your Power Source into abilities for your followers. They are also some ways that the gods can express their main themes (the Power source)

Appearance: (optional)

Biography: (Two or three paragraphs)

If you all need an example, just ask.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Perloo

Hmmmmm, I wanna join, but juggling chars is tricky. Plus I'm pretty much the nerd who specializez in phantasy realms. Yeah, that's right, phantasy. You got a problem with that?

But seriously, how would this play out?

We're sposta be playing gods in this. With followers. How do we make flaws? And... followers?

And trust me, if you got Ketotsue and Vuxxa started playing GODS, I swear, this would turn into something with more empty displays of power than the whole of Dragonball Z combined into a cartoon network marathon.

So in short, I'm asking for an example please.

Just to long winded to say it simply.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Boss Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Necronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perloo
And trust me, if you got Ketotsue and Vuxxa started playing GODS, I swear, this would turn into something with more empty displays of power than the whole of Dragonball Z combined into a cartoon network marathon.
ok, THAT is funny.
and also true

and i speak from experience when i say ive done one of these god-RPs before, totally chaotic. None of the gods die, and followers keep going like candy into a fat kid, and eventually the whole world is destroyed and everyone is stil fighting.

not a pretty sight, and also quite frustrating.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #4
Gem Pouch Expert

Hey now.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Perloo

lol

Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Gem Pouch Expert

...i could disput it but... ok so maybe i watched a little to much DB'Z...

Old 05-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Noldor

Mostly, the enemies would be NPCs.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Perloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketotsue
...i could disput it but... ok so maybe i watched a little to much DB'Z...
Lol! Love the modesty Ketotsue!

rofl.

You're never gunna live this down buddy!

P.S., Noldor, the Noldor rule! You a Tolkien fan or something?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perloo
Lol! Love the modesty Ketotsue!

rofl.

You're never gunna live this down buddy!

P.S., Noldor, the Noldor rule! You a Tolkien fan or something?
Yeah, I'm not a Tolkien geek, but I do enjoy the ones I have read.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Perloo

Well you obviously read one of the less ordinary books!

The silmarillion perhaps?

Or the Tale of the Children of Hurin?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
Noldor

I've read Fellowship, Hobbit, Two Towers, and Silmarillion.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
Boss Hunter

YOU HAVEN'T READ RETURN OF THE KING?!?! *hits Noldor for his ignorance*

this is becoming more of a "talk-about-LOTR" thread than an RP thread. noldor, maybe you should start a new thread with an example post? thats normally what people do. then we can join it if we are interested.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Gem Pouch Expert

Send a message via MSN to Qtchi Send a message via Skype™ to Qtchi

Quote:
Hmmmmm, I wanna join, but juggling chars is tricky. Plus I'm pretty much the nerd who specializez in phantasy realms. Yeah, that's right, phantasy. You got a problem with that?

But seriously, how would this play out?

We're sposta be playing gods in this. With followers. How do we make flaws? And... followers?

Actually, I noticed this in current posts...folks have to be a bit careful about God-Modding and Power-Play. If you are unsure what the terms are, you can read my RP Guide in the General Rules for Role-Playing thread.

For example: *cough* raised a whole army with Arc demons, shadows and other atrocities. There was archers, swordsmen, cavalry, lance men, and etc.

Yet that person did it in a matter of seconds, felt not a tinge nor did he even catch his breath. The so-called "formidable" force barely lasted 2 sentences and no description was given to the other players...as to better let us know what we are up against.

All in all...just made RL me go: Meh, Impossible.

I'm not saying it was a bad post...but it could be better (for our sake). It's kind of difficult to write a response when you do not know the details...

<Also Available on Google - New!>

Old 05-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
Gem Pouch Expert

the archers, swordsmen, cavalry, lance men were already there when i first came out of the forest. it was a simple matter to summon the demons and stuff from hell, and the orcs had already been on their way to join.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
Perloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necronas
YOU HAVEN'T READ RETURN OF THE KING?!?! *hits Noldor for his ignorance*

this is becoming more of a "talk-about-LOTR" thread than an RP thread. noldor, maybe you should start a new thread with an example post? thats normally what people do. then we can join it if we are interested.
Lotr is merely the tip of the extremely large iceberg.

If you haven't read the Silmarillion you're hardly one to talk.

No offense but the Silmarillion is the entire written history of middle earth.

All of it.

And trust me, it ain't an easy read.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
Gem Pouch Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuxxa
the archers, swordsmen, cavalry, lance men were already there when i first came out of the forest. it was a simple matter to summon the demons and stuff from hell, and the orcs had already been on their way to join.
Aye...

Then write that into your posts. Describe the existing things, then add on the summoned things...they cannot just appear out of thin air. Did they crawl out from the mud, summoned from the deep levels of the ground? Or did they materialize from the shadows of the trees and slithered across the ground? Perhaps they slowly descended from the heavens in jelly-colored bubbles...

Are they peach colored with eyes that glow a fiery red? Do they have horns and claws shaped like bugles-chips? heehee...

A little bit more description will let us better understand what you see and makes the story much more enjoyable to read. Just picture something in your mind...and go with it. If something already exists in the scenery, it wouldn't hurt to describe it again and refresh a reader's mind. Sometimes you have to treat RPers like they have short-term memory problems...

You can also write how your character felt when summoning (and afterward). Did he feel the thill of power coursing through his body? Did his forehead break out in sweat? Perhaps summoning is like swimming the Atlantic Ocean and it leaves him trembling and drenched from head to toe.

Or maybe yer character feels revitalized after summoning....we don't know...but it wouldn't hurt to personalize him a bit more When in doubt, choose 2 of the 5 senses available...and write.

Sight
Sound
Taste/Smell
Touch
Thought

Pick 2 and go with the flow. For example: You pick sight and sound. Then in your next post, you would write the things your character see's and perhaps sounds that he makes (or sounds he hears).

Maybe you like taste/smell and thought: Then in your next post, he might taste something in the air (blood, scent of death?) and thought (his reaction to something or someone else). Thoughts can also be observations (like how he feels towards his summoned demons or what not)...

Question: Is your character a power-walker? He exited the forest only a mere few minutes before the rest of us...yet already he can: (1) Rain fireballs and completely destroy a village, (2) Keep a mind link with Ket, (3) Walk halfway across the forest, (4) Raise a huge army of stuff...

And meanwhile, we are still trying to finish a one-sentence conversation....I don't think the problem is in the quantity of posts...but contents of yer existing posts...

Old 05-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #17
Boss Hunter

I agree completely with what Qtchi is saying. A little more description would be better. I have to admit, even my post following it was not as good as it could have been. Anyway, since we are coming to large-scale warfare, I figured it would be nice to talk about that. Remember that the focus of the scene doesn't have to be your character, although it should incorporate him as a core element of the post. Some things to think about (I don't like the word rules):
1. As always, no god-modding.
2. Understand that in the fog of war, there are ALWAYS casualties
3. Sometimes sight is not always the most important sense
4. Emotions (especially fear and rage) are always interesting to talk about
5. Never "end" the war. You can end the post with your character panting or collapsing or such, but if someone wants to keep the war going, its ok.

I guess the best thing to do is give an example. This one is from a phantasy I was in about a year ago. I was Prince Ormus, General of the Pharaon Federation's Capital Fleet. I took this one because the enemy is quite similar to Vuxxa's hordes. A "Tempest" refers to a type of battleship. Anyway, here it is:

The Thraxon horde approaches. A blanket of darkness nears the glorious Pharaon Federation. The warfleets are ready. In the mothership, surrounded by screens, buttons, charts, graphs, statistics, maps and beeping noises of incoming alerts, sits the prince: Ormus.
"Fire at will!"
The dark blanket of space is illuminated with rays of blue light: Photon rays, laser cannons, phaser beams, and a wide assortion of burning light. Barrage after barrage was fired at the fiends. As their bodies were ripped apart the oxygen within their ventral sacks rapidly warmed and was released into the emptiness, creating a huge explosion as the gas particles flew everywhere. The explosions killed some of their own men, but they didn't care. For every Thraxon casualty, ten took its place, neither hesitating nor flinching, approaching their doom with faces as stoic as if they were dead already.
Then something horrible occurred. One of Ormus's screens lit up with a signal. The incoming swarm had reached one of the ships. The Thraxon's jaws were scratching and tearing at the titanium plating, puking their digestive acids. They were eating their way through the ship's defenses.
"Tempest Apollo 1137, activate defense shockwave and immediately trigger wormhole mechanism."
A reply came: "Copy that"
Tempest Apollo 1137 did exactly as told. All the pilots but one brought their hands together in a circle, around the CPU of the ship. Their hands began to glow, as did their eyes, for they were chanelling their energies together and as it flowed through them it grew in strength as they slowly added more power to it. When it was strong enough they let out the result: a massive shockwave that passed through the walls of the ship and burned the Thraxon in contact with it. The last pilot began the creation of the wormhole. The ship began to become extremely warm. What was happening was that it was creating a congested wormhole inside itself. After the wormhole was fully formed, the forces which constrained it were released, and the wormhole exploded, swallowing the entire ship, before disappearing with it, sending them safely back to Tora, the Pharaon homeworld.
"The rest of you, fall back, and deploy the statis feild"
They did exactly as told as well. The tempests all turned and retreated, and the Thraxon blindly followed, unbeknown to the fact that the Tempest were releasing small gadgets from their rears, tiny mechanical orbs that buzzed weakly of electric resonance.
"Activate statis feild now!"
The gadgets formed a web of electricity. Billions of volts poured from one, and were sucked in by another to be released as another chain, which together became a magnificent feild of thunder. The Thraxon burned, one by one, upon impact with the statis feild, until the last one was dead. Ormus detected the sound of celebration from many of the ships.
"Don't let your guard down, men. There are more. I am sure of it. This was probably just a scout team"
The pilots were bewildered. Not all the ships had been as lucky as Tempest Apollo 1137.
"Men, we're in for one hell of a fight."

Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
Gem Pouch Expert

Necronas that is a awesome post!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
Gem Pouch Expert

yes, that was very good.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #20
Gem Pouch Expert

so is it just me or do we have a habit of takeing over any thread one of us just so happens to post in