On Crafting Tool Distribution
Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
Somneil

Default On Crafting Tool Distribution

Is it too prohibitive to early crafting to have all the crafting tools spread throughout so many towns that have such a large level range requirement to access?

Would it make sense to relocate any of them?

One relocation I think would really make sense is taking the Hand Spindle out of Altimus and putting it in Castille. This makes logical sense to me because spider silk drops right off the bat in the game, yet the tool required to minimally process it is located in a town that requires you to be around level 13ish to access.

And one that really gripes me personally because I love foraging...please relocate the Dye Press from T5 to Stronhad (where most people end up laborously dragging it anyway). In my opinion, crafters and resource gatherers alike should not have to wait that many levels to do a first-step process on a common resource.

Or perhaps the most pleasing solution would be to sell all (or most) of the crafting tools at all of the towns and tweak the prices on the tools so that the crux of crafting progression is based on the progressive affordability of the tools instead of on combat levels and town-progression.

Last edited by Somneil; 06-18-2008 at 03:09 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Camli

I have to agree. I shouldn't have to wait until I'm what, level 15 to start even making recipes? Never mind that we haven't even seen the tools necessary for many items.

If a crafting economy is ever going to develop, the tools need to be available early on, so we can level the crafting skills by doing them, not just throwing them on passive once in a while.

Seriously, it took me around 4 days and 8,000 gold just to make my first consumable recipe.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

i agree most of the tools should be available from start but if there are some you dont need till you have x amount of lvls in a tradeskill to use then i dont not seeing them till in a later town as it is now mostly only lvl 20 and up players can get all the items need to complete basic recipes

Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
Seer's BFF

i have every tool available so far from castille to malin. if u need a hand let me know.

if everything was available in the first town you would take nearly your whole 2hrs AT to reach stronrad as you will be carrying over 400 in weight and be seriously encumbered . plus you wont have the inv or storage space for them all.

also more information added to my site.

http://www.freewebs.com/flashusrollus...the 1st help site for Nodiatis

Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

well i would say that they should be distributed over the first 4 towns as they are fairly easy to access as you can go to T4 at lvl 8 though that would probably require a fairly good group

Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Seer's BFF

one other point your not going to make enough gold around castille to buy everything

http://www.freewebs.com/flashusrollus...the 1st help site for Nodiatis

Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Somneil

Good points, Flashus.

1. You're not going to be able to store all the tools right away even if they were available.

2. You're not going to be able to buy all the tools right away even if they were available.

This, in my opinion, is a proper progressor mechanism. As you progress in your crafting around the first four towns, you are going to gain more storage and more gold to buy better tools. But now that a lot more gold is available from monsters, the prices may even need to be raised on tools to give them more of a progressive curve (that is, if they were relocated as suggested).

I think this is preferrable to having different tools spread across 6+ towns though with a 20+ level gap and some of the tools in the higher towns are first-step processors. That doesn't seem right.

Last edited by Somneil; 06-18-2008 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Administrator

Some tools like the spindle are already in multiple towns, Castille being one of them. Also remember that these tools are freely trade-able. If you want to take 10 dye presses down to stronhad mark them up and sell them via auction you're free to do it.