Staff Caster suggestions
Old 02-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
Boss Hunter

Default Staff Caster suggestions

Can we get a skill for staff users only that causes all auras to be group based, or gives a chance for such? I'd expect to see it cap at 25% or something else it might be too OP.

Similarly, can staff users get a skill that gives up to a 50% chance to proc gem handling (pull new auras) and divination (pull first gem in pouch) when switching gem pouches?

These would help to rebalance staff casters with the OPness of DC builds.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
Epic Scholar

Send a message via MSN to Sanluciferr

I kinda support the changed pouches keep auras for/to staff users, maybe to be added in an existent skill.

What balance are you trying to seek? you cant compare Staff Casters to Double Casters, they are in their own league.

My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
Epic Scholar

Send a message via MSN to flipynifty

Those seem to be possibly viable skills for sure. make casters cast again!

omg i wanna sammich nao

Old 02-05-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
Seer's BFF

That sounds way too op. Staff casters are already a lot stronger than dc in pvp

Old 02-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
Gem Pouch Expert

The only penalty you have for swapping pouch's is you lose gems... That's a very minor penalty for the adaptability it adds. I dont think you realize just how ludicrous it would be for their auras to be group based... not even to add the 25% they would then get from shared bliss...

I dont get why people think staff casters are weak, they are not weak at all. If your having issues its on your setup/skills/teirs.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:27 AM   #6
Seer's BFF

Staff casters are the strongest casters PvP but they are the slowest casters PvE.

I do think a skill to retain auras when switching pouches would be good. As long as the auras are in both pouches. Considering someone starts as disease and they meet a prowler in a fight they have to change or they will most certainly lose. And as some people on this thread have said before if you get on the back foot v preventer you will lose. Losing all auras puts you on the back foot.

Many staff casters build around having auras in play. They already get a 20 second stun for switching from staff. Losing auras can also be very detrimental for some builds.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:43 AM   #7
Auction Master

if your build is based off an aura you've already failed before you even begin

Old 02-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #8
Epic Scholar

honestly for once id like to see actual staff users comment, instead of people that used it once or twice for a season. Its not even pvp that's wholly in question.

Maybe give the staff main peeps a chance to chime in

omg i wanna sammich nao

Last edited by flipynifty; 02-06-2020 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
Boss Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanluciferr
What balance are you trying to seek? you cant compare Staff Casters to Double Casters, they are in their own league.
It doesn't make any kind of sense in any way, shape, or form that archers can outcast a staff caster. That's the balance I'm looking for. No other game, no mythical/fantasy lore anywhere comes close to this kind of thinking. Casting takes extreme focus. Archery takes pretty damn extreme focus. Melee takes extreme focus, too. It just defies logic that this blend favors casting so strongly. I get that staff casters are also meleers to a degree, but the casting far outweighs the melee in all situations. I think even Flippy will agree with that, and he's the strongest meleer with a staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsutsu
That sounds way too op. Staff casters are already a lot stronger than dc in pvp
What staff caster consistently beats DC builds with equivalent tiers? We lose out on the bowset's stats, we lose out on the bowset's tempers, and we're far behind their double casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakymagic
I dont get why people think staff casters are weak, they are not weak at all. If your having issues its on your setup/skills/teirs.
Then wtf aren't you a staff caster anymore? Obviously there's an issue with staff casting or you wouldn't have switched to archer.
Also your shows ownership, you're is you + are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulodjohn
Staff casters are the strongest casters PvP but they are the slowest casters PvE.
What I've seen is that occasionally staff casters can appear strong PVP (DoT vs tanks or DD vs low tier bm/melee) but it's dependent a lot upon similar amounts of health. Once tiers are brought into it, you have to be able to swap through diff staff builds. You have to show up in arena with the right build for your opponent or you can get pretty much insta-killed, unless you have insane amounts of epic hp unlocked to float the change and reacquiring auras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesiss
if your build is based off an aura you've already failed before you even begin
Kinda hypocritical, given that all melee builds are highly dependent upon auras. As staff casters, without deft finality maxed, we have to hope we pull the right auras consistently enough to be effective in a fight. When switching pouches/suits, we wind up with the wrong set of auras active unless we get really freaking lucky in the first few pulls while also not insta-dying to whatever the other player gets to lazily do to us without much thought.

Last edited by Khettry; 02-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: more direct responses

Old 02-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
Gem Pouch Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipynifty
honestly for once id like to see actual staff users comment, instead of people that used it once or twice for a season. Its not even pvp that's wholly in question.

Maybe give the staff main peeps a chance to chime in
WTF does it matter if people currently use staff or have used it previously? Also these changes are not pve at all they are 100% pvp. On top of that what does people with opinion's on this have to do with not letting "the staff main peeps" comment? ask them to log onto forums, read and respond rather then telling others not to give their opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khettry
It doesn't make any kind of sense in any way, shape, or form that archers can outcast a staff caster. That's the balance I'm looking for.

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Why ask for staff to be brokenly op rather then deal with this fact and play around it accordingly?

Also should not consider dbl casters as melee or archer toons. They are VERY clearly a caster toon that chose to use archery gear over a staff due to the advantages and disadvantages each has.

What staff caster consistently beats DC builds with equivalent tiers? We lose out on the bowset's stats, we lose out on the bowset's tempers, and we're far behind their double casting.

Yes that is a disadvantage of staff. It's not as if your not gaining other advantages for this though.

Then wtf aren't you a staff caster anymore? Obviously there's an issue with staff casting or you wouldn't have switched to archer.

If i wanted to do well in this season i would reroll to arcanist. Just because i changed does not mean i think its weak or under powered. I get bored with the same build and change all the time. Not to mention what i want out of my build changes all the time.

What I've seen is that occasionally staff casters can appear strong PVP (DoT vs tanks or DD vs low tier bm/melee) but it's dependent a lot upon similar amounts of health. Once tiers are brought into it, you have to be able to swap through diff staff builds. You have to show up in arena with the right build for your opponent or you can get pretty much insta-killed, unless you have insane amounts of epic hp unlocked to float the change and reacquiring auras.

If you want to compete in arena you need teirs, epic hp and being able to adapt. That does not change if your a staff, melee, archer, dbl cast. People for years have said dd is crap and too easily countered... yet what was the dps that won last season?

Kinda hypocritical, given that all melee builds are highly dependent upon auras. As staff casters, without deft finality maxed, we have to hope we pull the right auras consistently enough to be effective in a fight. When switching pouches/suits, we wind up with the wrong set of auras active unless we get really freaking lucky in the first few pulls while also not insta-dying to whatever the other player gets to lazily do to us without much thought.

Yes pretty much everyone needs auras. Staff users get faster drawing to get auras back up as well as faster drawing with multiple auras up. You already have an advantage for something that is critical for any build.
Honestly the only two people i ever see asking for staff buffs are you and flippy. Both with low teirs and low epic hp. Just because you use a staff why do you think that means you should be beating the dbl casters who out teir the hell out of you, and more then double your epic hp. Even verse similarly teired/epic hp'd toons dbl cast excels at putting out dmg. If as a staff user your trying to go dd vs dd with them or dot vs dot with them then yea, your not going to win. That does not mean you can't win. You 100% can beat them as a staff user.

Could argue you should be able to farm faster as a pure staff caster then a dbl caster. BUT that's not what your even asking. Your asking for a pvp buff for staff and they dont need it at all.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #11
Seer's BFF

I have a staff dd toon.... Staff dd is as fast or faster in certain zones over dcdd too, Each has advantages and disadvantages, stop trying to just give staff all the advantages with none of the disadvantages. Dcdd's only true advantage in pvp is that they can use a shield, you can get just as much hp as a dcdd toon through your stats and still have the same dps as they do. What you lack for your staff dd toons is tempers, epic hp, and versatility. Staff is more complicated than setting up a dcdd toon where it's just "I pewpew until one of us dies" Staff has so many different variations available to it that no one actually takes advantage of.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #12
Boss Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakymagic
Could argue you should be able to farm faster as a pure staff caster then a dbl caster. BUT that's not what your even asking.
KK, geef PVE buff

Old 02-11-2020, 06:15 AM   #13
Boss Hunter

If anything maybe a lg skill that only works with a staff and for pve, that reduces your gems chances to be resisted for both dots and DD ?

Old 02-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #14
Seer's BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaark
If anything maybe a lg skill that only works with a staff and for pve, that reduces your gems chances to be resisted for both dots and DD ?
There's 2 staves for that

Old 02-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #15
Boss Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsutsu
There's 2 staves for that
Yes and so? We are telling that staff caster have a hard time in high zone, figured adding such a skill would help a little to get them closer to other builds.

We have skills for multi attacks and yet we have lgs with added multi attack chances, I don't see how the fact that 2 staves provide hit chances prevent us from having a skill.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
Epic Scholar

What if instead of trying to make a one-dimensional build you bothered to use your giant stick to whack things for extra PvE DPS, or suggesting things that make that more viable if you claim it isn't now?

About a year and a half ago, I tested staff-bashing with no casting vs my normal melee build- there were no changes made except removing my weapons/quiver and replacing them with a staff.

The staff had about 80% as much DPS as the full melee build.

It's obvious what the right answer for staff PvE is, especially if you do some basic math.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchless
The player was banned for using an exploit repeatedly without reporting it. There's only 1 proper way to profit off an exploit: report it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggles
Old Delay/(1+haste%) = New Delay

For slow effects, use the slow % but as a negative.

Just repeat for multiple effects.

DO NOT multiply by 1+slow% to get your new delay. 1*1.4 is not the same as 1/0.6 and your answer will be wrong.

Last edited by Huggles; 02-11-2020 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #17
Boss Hunter

I've run a dotter with 550 str using the staff of serpent ice, still is far from bow user (caster) in term of pve.
But whatever, it seems that suggesting improvement to get some builds closer to other in term of pve just brings the lovely answer : do something else instead.
Fair nuff.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #18
Epic Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaark
I've run a dotter with 550 str using the staff of serpent ice, still is far from bow user (caster) in term of pve.
But whatever, it seems that suggesting improvement to get some builds closer to other in term of pve just brings the lovely answer : do something else instead.
Fair nuff.
That's because bow caster is stupid OP. You don't need to make everything that OP.

And my point is that a lot of these people don't run any str and just want an easy button to make their gems stronger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchless
The player was banned for using an exploit repeatedly without reporting it. There's only 1 proper way to profit off an exploit: report it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggles
Old Delay/(1+haste%) = New Delay

For slow effects, use the slow % but as a negative.

Just repeat for multiple effects.

DO NOT multiply by 1+slow% to get your new delay. 1*1.4 is not the same as 1/0.6 and your answer will be wrong.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #19
Epic Scholar

issue with having to use str, and a lot of it, is either losing much defense or all, or rec.

omg i wanna sammich nao

Old 02-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #20
Rat Slayer

This thread is pretty stupid but the one tiny thing that would be good would be if ebone staff gave STR instead of MST or, infact, staves in general.

Last edited by xaivia; 02-12-2020 at 07:09 AM..