Add a monk class
Old 12-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
Neophyte

Post Add a monk class

Seeing how so many lg classes have been added I figured that this would be the time to suggest a new one; a monk who makes hand to hand combat (no weapon equip) viable. This class would not have any equip spots for armor or weapons and instead have 4 pet slots. It would have +5% to all stats except -13% in recovery. It would have much higher than normal starting stats in str. dex. int. agi. to make up for the lack of armor. The class bonus would also in include a bonus (+100%? +200%?) to melee damage. This class would allow so many more interesting combos for caps and provide further incentive to do pilgrimages.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Seer's BFF

Only a fool goes into combat unarmed.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Tip
Gem Pouch Expert

Gotta love Glitch quotes

Old 12-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Neophyte

Some caps are fools

Old 12-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
Rare Collector

dunno im all for it, ill gladly watch some idiot hit for 200 damage and pets doing next to no damage in support of them trying to fist u to death, unless they using 4 timmies... then im defo all for it cause them fleshy hits be epic

Broke 4k pet crit :O Buff BM nao!

Old 12-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
Epic Scholar

Send a message via MSN to flipynifty

this has been requested since... well day one. Maybe someday it will happen but im sure the mechanics would be really fun for glitch to do and try to balance

omg i wanna sammich nao

Old 12-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
Gem Pouch Expert

I never played Race War kingdoms, but wasn't Monk a broken class on there because you didn't have to buy weapons, and it was a strong class overall?

I wouldn't know lol. My assumption that Glitch doesn't release that class is because of how easily broken an unarmed unit can be due to haste, or really bad. You can't really balance unarmed units in games properly from what I've seen. I remember playing Black Desert Online years ago, and the Striker/monk class was insanely broken because of how fast they could hit, and then on top of having grabs and stuns in their combos.

This is medieval times, grab a sword and shield, cast magic, shoot a bow, make tigers kill ppl, but don't fricken go into combat unarmed or you DEAD :S that's how it was back then lol

Old 12-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
Gem Pouch Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakki
I never played Race War kingdoms, but wasn't Monk a broken class on there because you didn't have to buy weapons, and it was a strong class overall?

I wouldn't know lol. My assumption that Glitch doesn't release that class is because of how easily broken an unarmed unit can be due to haste, or really bad. You can't really balance unarmed units in games properly from what I've seen. I remember playing Black Desert Online years ago, and the Striker/monk class was insanely broken because of how fast they could hit, and then on top of having grabs and stuns in their combos.

This is medieval times, grab a sword and shield, cast magic, shoot a bow, make tigers kill ppl, but don't fricken go into combat unarmed or you DEAD :S that's how it was back then lol
Easy fix, add Gloves or left/right handed gloves to the game.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
Gem Pouch Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesonicus
Easy fix, add Gloves or left/right handed gloves to the game.
On that note tho, zerker literally is required to be missing equipment, so monk class would be pretty viable imo. Could even have it so monks can use staves, but no gem pouch, interesting twist.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
Tip
Gem Pouch Expert

Four pets w/o whips to push them is pitiful in Nod. The other points, like not even needing armor and massive boost to melee: sounds like an idle game. 'I don't wanna figure out how to build, make something I can pick and be viable without working at it too hard.' I agree with Dl in that it might be hilarious to see such a thing demolished, but for being viable not so much. Just like people taming tigers and using magic in our Medieval times, the picture of a ninja is not a thing in Nod. Something akin to a ninja seems more viable than unarmed, however.

Ranged weapons like throwing stars or sling, nun-chucks or sai for hand-to-hand, armor focused on stealth(like defensive in the way of not even getting hit rather than traditional ac).... new lg class that could have a pk twist? Totally just in the moment spit balling on all this ofc, but it might even fill a thief factor that Nod doesn't have. Which ties back to OOFlipy's comment: anything that would be effectively possible would be an undertaking to figure out and construct.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
Gem Pouch Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip
Four pets w/o whips to push them is pitiful in Nod. The other points, like not even needing armor and massive boost to melee: sounds like an idle game. 'I don't wanna figure out how to build, make something I can pick and be viable without working at it too hard.' I agree with Dl in that it might be hilarious to see such a thing demolished, but for being viable not so much. Just like people taming tigers and using magic in our Medieval times, the picture of a ninja is not a thing in Nod. Something akin to a ninja seems more viable than unarmed, however.

Ranged weapons like throwing stars or sling, nun-chucks or sai for hand-to-hand, armor focused on stealth(like defensive in the way of not even getting hit rather than traditional ac).... new lg class that could have a pk twist? Totally just in the moment spit balling on all this ofc, but it might even fill a thief factor that Nod doesn't have. Which ties back to OOFlipy's comment: anything that would be effectively possible would be an undertaking to figure out and construct.
I always figured Rogue and Larcener were our thief classes, rogue for backstab and boost to piercing weapons, and Larcener just being a greedier version of rogue with gem haste and more gold haha. Isn't a Larcener just a greedy thief?

Now people can go dual wield and be zerkers, but they lose shield and quiver.

He could do a ninja or an assassin class that directly prioritizes Stealth, purely a damage and mobility build. with like a Lethality ability that has a chance to 1 shot a single target in bonus, similar to how shaft or rupture works I guess.

I think new weapon options overall would be cool though. Imagine a slasher that does ranged damage and slashing damage, that happens to be a bladed boomerang? Or like you said, Sai's that increase parry chance, and maybe a unique passive to actually disarm your opponent, as well as do damage to them?

Brass Knuckles -

Gauntlets -

Kama -

Baton or Tonfa's -

Sjambok (heavy whip) -

Throwing Knife -

As far as passives / abilities I can't think of any for them off the top of my head.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Boss Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakki
To clarify, there was a huge disadvantage going Monk or Theurg (caster who can only equip one heal) because of the loss of that 1 or 2 equipment pieces which could take a DxD each. Huge, huge stat boosts gone.

While building these classes and until they had every piece that they COULD quip essentially shadowed/DxD'd/fully enchanted (up to dragon ess before gem enchantments), they were utter crap to play. Sure you could get a beast...in 5-10 hits, if nobody came along before you killed it, but that's praying for a miracle.

Once they were fully maxed, though, you couldn't touch a Monk with any class except by pure luck, and a Theurg was likely to hit you with something that would have killed you 10x, so even if you had a revive fire, you were still dead.

Maybe I'm missing something and Staff DD is Monk in this case? I'll just save that for another thread...