Adventure Time
Old 06-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Somneil

Default Adventure Time

This isn't a complaint thread, actually its the opposite. I've been mulling over the simple, yet elegant system that is adventure time. I believe it addresses a number of problems a lot of other online games experience in an original way.

Virtue #1 - It incapacitates the gold farming market. No one can grind on this game 24/7 without creating numerous accounts. And even then, it takes a long time to build a character high enough to get decent amounts of gold out of monsters. And even then, gold is so precious, that if you want to keep advancing, you need to spend it on upgrades. I have yet to see a single person who has "extra" gold to throw around.

Virtue #2 - It incapacitates the botters (and without the need for GM overhead). Sure, you might be able to figure out a way to bot for two hours a day, but your xp gain and loot will suck compared to anyone who is playing actively at the keyboard. And most gamers are able to dedicate a scant two hours per day to their game of choice. The primary advantage of botting is being able to keep gaining xp while you're away/sleeping, but this is not possible with the AT system.

Virtue #3 - This is closely related to Virtue #2. Account sharing. There really isn't a need to share accounts to keep the accomplishments rolling because again, xp and loot time is limited and one person is more than enough to take advantage of it.

Virtue #4 - Being limited to a couple hours a day moderates exposure to the game and prevents long-term player burnout. Players are always left wanting more. This is good for retention. It also makes this a "smarter" game because players are forced to use their play time efficiently and strategically if they wish to be competitive. Using play time wisely requires planning (actually using your brain), instead of mindlessly killing for hours on end.

-----------------

So that's my positive look at the AT system and some things I think it accomplishes nicely.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

i will agree with you on that its a good way to keep people interested and prevent cheating

Old 06-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Luldaas

I don't think a game that will have a recurring fee should limit your time. If I was going to upgrade past the free account I should be able to expect to play as much as I want. That's my only problem with it, which isn't a problem now but could be later.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

maybe so but it isnt a problem yet