Go Back   > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Bug & Exploit Reports

Minor exploit with hunted animals.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Rat Slayer

Default Minor exploit with hunted animals.

As far as I can tell, animal's hunted with the hunting skill are not supposed to stack. You may be able to collect two in a single gather, but you shouldn't be able to stack them when putting them in your inventory. I've found that when downtiering animal carcasses, one can occasionally get a stack of two of the next tier down. This means that I can place two mongoose in my T2 storage instead of one per slot. This effectively doubles the amount of bones that I can gain per day by uptiering and downtiering mongoose's (mongeese? :S).

I don't think this was intended, as we cannot stack animal carcasses normally, as even when attempting to stack it says "This type of item cannot be stacked". If we put this on a higher scale, such as T30 carcasses, we could get stacks of 2 T29 carcasses, 4 T28, and so on down to 1073741824 T1 carcasses worth. It would take ludicrous item stacking to handle a stack of carcasses that high (not possible), but it would mean that someone could potentially hunt a T30 carcass and down tier it, and get a good roll just 15 or so times (in my experience, the odds of getting a double drop with prey is around-under 50%) and get 32768 T1 prey within a single stack. This would mean owning a ludicrous amount of T1 bones, currently worth around 100g each. That translates to about 32.7m gold. For a single high level mob/hunting session (with some exploiting thrown in). If there were poor rolls on the T30 prey, it would be less valuable, obviously, but at the same time it's possible that one would get beyond 15 doubling rolls and get exponentially more bones from that.

I'm sure bones were intended on being valuable in the sense that they took most of all of your storage in order to hoard them, but like this it becomes possible to compress all of a days worth of hunting into a single inventory space.

EDIT: I rescind my statement on it being a minor exploit after doing the math.
Also part of this edit: this report assumes that the T30-and beyond downtiering rate is the same as the T2-T1 rate. I'd assume it would be the same, but I don't know for sure. The exploit is, therefore, less important under current rates, but with good rolls could still potentially be terrible for the economy)

Last edited by Xeare; 04-19-2014 at 11:35 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
>.>
Auction Master

Downcrafting resources will still result in the possibility of 1x to 2x the amount, however, that amount will now be distributed a logarithmically, meaning you'll be much more likely to be closer to the 1x. This is to prevent lower tier resources from becoming too close to valueless with exponential growth.

Downcrafting rare resources will on average produce less than uncommon, and epics even less than that. They will all still have the potential to make up to 2x.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Zan
Gem Pouch Expert

Also, if you get a stack of two t29 from a t30, you wont be able to put that at the enchanting rod, and even if you did, it would uptier back to t30