Go Back   > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Player Guides and Help

Nodiatis issues and how to fix them
Old 02-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Epic Scholar

Default Nodiatis issues and how to fix them

I've compiled a list of common technical issues with Nodiatis and how to fix them. I've provided screenshots of the issues where I could find or reproduce them.
More issues will come as I find the time to reproduce and fix them. Please feel free to post any issues you encounter, and especially how you fix them. Also include screenshots and as much information on your computer and OS as you can.

General troubleshooting for connectivity issues
Virus scan
Should be common sense, but always run a virus scan before trying anything else. You're very rarely going to have an issue caused by a virus, honestly, but it's a good thing to try. Then move on to troubleshooting.

Traceroute
The first thing you should do for any connectivity issue with Nod is run a traceroute
To do this on any Windows machine, I find it quickest to hit Windows key + R to open the run command, type cmd and hit enter, then type "tracert nodiatis.com"
I've posted a screenshot of a tracert to Nodiatis below:

Once you have your traceroute complete, generally you'll want a screenshot
You can use the old prtscrn followed by pasting in paint and cropping, but I find it easier to use the Snipping tool which is included in Windows Vista and later
Upload to an image hosting site (I prefer tinypic.com) and use the forums URL to post it in the forums for your bug report (if necessary)
Using this traceroute, you can determine where your connection is failing. As you can see in mine, it's a fairly normal route and ddoesn't fail at any point, or have many massive jumps in ping time
If you're failing on the first couple hops, you're looking at an issue with your home router or ISP, maybe your computer
If you're failing further down the line, you're probably looking at an issue somewhere along the path your providers use to Nodiatis

DNS
Your DNS is your Domain Name Service, the server that converts domain names (such as nodiatis.com) into IP addresses. Nodiatis.com is currently at 66.135.42.153
If you have any issues with your DNS, especially latency, every site you visit will likely have issues as well
To find out your DNS address on Windows, I find it easiest to open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all, as below

As you can see, I use the Google public DNS as my primary and secondary servers. Typically, they have very little latency and are always up to date, but you can use whatever you want.
If you're experiencing latency on all your sites, or if you have fewer issues with Nod using the IP address rather than nodiatis.com, try switching your DNS.

Router/computer latency and connectivity
Most often, issues with latency and connectivity are going to be at your computer or router.
If you're using WiFi, the first thing to try is always to reboot your router. In addition, a computer reboot is a good idea.
Even on a wired connection, reboot your hub or router if you have one. Let's be safe!
The next step to try for WiFi is to hardline using an ethernet cable, and see if that improves your issues. It's sad how much interference a microwave will throw into your WiFi. It can knock you completely offline
If this doesn't resolve your issue, or if your computer is generally running slowly and it's hurting your Nod experience, try the following
Check task manager and find out what's using your RAM/processor time, then uninstall unnecessary programs
I cannot emphasize this enough, TOOLBARS ARE EVIL. Do not use them unless they are absolutely necessary, they will slow down your browsing immensely
Reinstall Java. Java is, forgive me, a bitch, and doesn't like to cooperate. Another important thing to do is clear the Java cache as well as the browser cache
To clear the Java cache, go to control panel > Java > settings > delete temporary files OR control panel > programs > Java > settings > delete temporary files (if in category mode)
This clears up tons of issues that Java has. I also personally recommend minimizing the Java cache while you're in there, though not everyone recommends that

Specific issues and how to fix them:

Java issues

General Java issues

**note** I'm currently recommending downgrading to Java 7 Update 45 for most issues, it's been confirmed to resolve SSL issues as well as certain crashing and permissions issues. You can download it here and make sure you select 7u51 and the appropriate version for your OS.

The following fix alleviates a number of problems with Java, particularly lag issues and issues with Java security prompts. You can update your Java (or roll back to a working version) or you can try the following workaround:

Go to the Java control panel
Switch to security tab
Lower security to medium
Disable Java in browser
Click apply
Go to general tab
Click settings
Slide that slider down to minimum
Click delete files
Check the top 2 boxes, hit ok
Click ok
Click apply
Click security tab
Check the enable Java box
Click apply, click ok

This fixes a lot of issues and it's also a good workaround for any of those issues you see with Java being out of date. Really, it's a more in-depth version of the fix for "Java out of date"

Java out of date

Generally, this one is self-evident. When loading Nodiatis, at the top of the screen you receive a message saying Nodiatis is blocked because Java is out of date.

It's also generally easy enough to fix; just go ahead and follow the link to update your Java. The current update is v7u51. However, if you're anything like me, you really don't want to update your Java, because a) you have to actually log out of Nod (oh god the horror!), and b) every update breaks something new.

To bypass this error on v7u35 and v7u45, you can go to Control panel > Java if in icon view or Control panel > Programs and features > Java if in category view, go to the security tab, and lower your security to medium.

This also generally fixes issues with Nodiatis not loading for various other security reasons. The last few versions of Java have started blocking applications for all kinds of ridiculous reasons.

If anyone has screenshots for this issue, I'd appreciate it if you provide them (credit will be given)

Screen goes blank randomly, especially when doing arena

This is a fun issue between Java and Flash, which is fixed easily enough by disabling Flash in your addons. The procedures for that depend greatly on which browser you use, but a quick Google will tell you how to do it on your browser/version.

Java SSL issues

This problem occurs when you check the box for SSL when logging into Nod. Typically you see something similar to the screenshot below:

For obvious reason, you'll want SSL enabled so your password and other traffic are encrypted and safe from man-in-the-middle attacks. So, working with Ghortarr and with some help from Glitchless (he explained the way SSL works with Nod) I came up with a fix. I know this works in IE and Chrome, haven't tested in Firefox but browser shouldn't matter at all.

Go into control panel, Java (or Java 32 bit), go to advanced, security section, make sure TLS 1.0 is enabled (I checked SSL 3.0 for good measure). Screenshot below.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone with this issue to verify it fixes it for you as well, and again thanks goes to Ghortarr for bringing the issue to my attention and to Glitchless for providing information.

Flash issues

Sounds don't work

The original thread can be found here. Credit goes to Glitchless on this one of course. Including it here purely because I want every issue to go on this thread at some point. This issue includes things like the arena gong not going off.

Nod sound runs on Flash. I'll actually recommend you disable it for some fixes of Java, because Flash can cause issues with Java (especially in Chrome) but in this case, if you need sound, you'll want to follow the following steps to fix it:

1: First, make sure Flash is enabled. Easy enough to do, but how you do it depends on your browser. Not going to list them all out here, but a quick Google will tell you how to do it.
2: Follow this link: http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager03.html and set your Flash memory usage to 10 mb or unlimited.
3: Restart your browser
4: If you're still having an issue, I recommend clearing cookies and reloading your browser again.
Again, all credit for the fix goes to Glitchless, credit for bringing this one up goes to Dorcas

Browser issues

Coming soon

Last edited by hotshot64; 07-20-2014 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Moar stuff

Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Epic Scholar

Added a Java issue, I'd like to request people post here or pm me with specific issues they'd like added to the list. If you happen to know the fix, or if you have a link to a previous bug report or guide, please post that as well, and any screenshots you might have. All credit will go to the person who gave me the tip.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Epic Scholar

Reminding peeps to submit issues they want posted on here, I want every technical Nod issue that can be fixed client side to be on here eventually, but it takes ages searching the forums for them and there are some I'll miss.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Boss Hunter

spike lag when stacking trophies, i always get this.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
The Eldest Pilgrim

great thread Daer, will be a great help for people.

[

Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Epic Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraphim
spike lag when stacking trophies, i always get this.
Hmmmm tough one, I'll see if I can come up with some troubleshooting for it. And thanks Dav, I'm doing my best

Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Epic Scholar

That router is probably rejecting ping requests, if the next hops are all normal.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Neophyte

wel hotshot64,

i can't play nodiatis when i click the SSL encryption box on.. normally i can play it like everyone else.. but yesterday suddenly i couldn't.. you have any idea how to fix that? i also posted this at bug and exploit section (:

Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
Epic Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghortarr
wel hotshot64,

i can't play nodiatis when i click the SSL encryption box on.. normally i can play it like everyone else.. but yesterday suddenly i couldn't.. you have any idea how to fix that? i also posted this at bug and exploit section (:
That's an interesting one. It's possible your browser isn't setup to support the right type of SSL encryption, if you pm me ingame when I have time we can try to experiment and fix it and then I'll post the solution here for everyone.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Epic Scholar

Added a fix for Nod crashing

Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
Epic Scholar

Added a fix for Java SSL issues and general Java issues as well.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Temporarily Suspended

thats my tracert, now what?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
Temporarily Suspended

Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
Epic Scholar

Glitch, this deserves to be a sticky. This contains very useful information that many people will use to solve their own issues instead of spamming on forums each time they have an issue

Last edited by Soxson; 04-02-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
Boss Hunter

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Amy>tracert nodiatis.com

Tracing route to nodiatis.com [66.135.42.153]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms BTHUB3 [192.168.1.254]
2 6 ms 81 ms 16 ms 172.16.13.7
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 6 ms 7 ms 6 ms 217.41.216.77
5 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms host109-159-245-146.range109-159.btcentralplus.c
om [109.159.245.146]
6 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms 31.55.165.211
7 7 ms 6 ms 7 ms 31.55.165.109
8 6 ms 7 ms 8 ms acc2-10GigE-10-2-0.mr.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.2
50.202]
9 20 ms 15 ms 15 ms core1-te0-13-0-13.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
250.172]
10 16 ms 17 ms 17 ms peer1-xe10-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
254.122]
11 15 ms 15 ms 18 ms 10ge.xe-0-0-0.linxb.ldn-teleh-dis-1.peer1.net [1
95.66.224.156]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 150 ms 150 ms 150 ms 66.135.42.153

Trace complete.

FINE DAER... I POSTED IT!! JEEEEEZ

Old 05-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
Epic Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharkas
Lol I just realized he was trying to ping a host name that doesn't exist. have to put a space before -t damn it!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #17
Epic Scholar

Please post issues to this so I can work out solutions. Old issues and fixes are also appreciated.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
Epic Scholar

Added a recommendation to run a virus scan as the first test

Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
Epic Scholar

Bump! Make sure to blow out your heat vents if you're lagging.

Java
Old 07-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
Rat Slayer

Send a message via Yahoo to Phantomrocks Send a message via Skype™ to Phantomrocks
Unhappy Java

I can't get Java to install at all. It does the first part of the download, installs, then when it gets to the part where you choose if you want the Ask toolbar installed, whether I choose to install it or not, after I click Next - the whole thing disappears. It hasn't installed and when I go to downloads it is still there. I have tried numerous times with Explorer and Chrome.