CA/DoT mixing
Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Boss Hunter

Question CA/DoT mixing

Well, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it's something I noticed and was wondering if I'm just as crazy as I think I am.

So, when I use the Dark Knight CA, the enemy is diseased for X amount of time for X amount of damage. Blah blah. At max, it starts at 219 disease damage per tick. Now, the curious thing is.. If I use a disease DoT after the CA has been activated, that 219 diminishes to 1xx something.

Is the DoT of the same damage type overriding and negating the CA, or is it somehow being added in with the CA. But if it is being added together for the brief period that the CA is going, then shouldn't the damage rate go up instead of down?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Administrator

This has been an accepted behavior in DoT stacking where a weighted average of the extra damage and extra time were taken into account. However, it is pretty counter intuitive to see your DoT numbers go down when a small, slow DoT is added to a large, fast one so we will be changing it to prevent this from occurring.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
Rat Slayer

glitch, i also have noticed that when i use rogue ca after using a poison dot and then use a poison dot agian it reduces a bit.. i don't know if it's going right there..

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Temporarily Suspended

nice fix....makes sharpened bleed halfway useful against colored mobs now.....always use to negate the effect of wound it seemed

Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Seer's BFF

I honestly don't think this needs fixing. If you know how they stack it's not a huge deal seeing the numbers decrease a little, sure it "slows down" a few of the powerful fast dots, but dots are meant to be drawn out, and it's more about the average than the power of them per sec. With all the dot procs that are 30 secs or longer, especially sharpened/slice with BMs, the wound from pets actually speeds up those dots...a lot actually, giving all the damage over 12-15 secs instead of the 10 for wound, so this "fix" could be counter-intuitive. I mean, sure it depends on just exactly how much damage the quick dots do together, but I think, if this is fixed the way I think it's going to be(all dots timers being separate), then sometimes this will result in faster kills, and sometimes it will be slower. I guess I'm thinking that average kill speeds will still be the same? So fixed or not, it doesn't really matter?